Click the picture to go to e4tg.com

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

7/31 TOEFL Results

As I mentioned, I took TOEFL on July 31. My score was 119 (30, 29, 30, 30). Here's what we learned:
  1. Reading: I deliberately missed one question and still got 30.
  2. Listening: I deliberately missed one question and got 29. I might have missed more, but I don't think so.
  3. Speaking: once again, my strategies worked perfectly. Of course! My Integrated Speaking answers were 40~51 seconds long. You do NOT have to use the entire 60 seconds, but you do have to provide complete and accurate answers.
  4. Integrated Writing: We had to use 助動詞 to answer this task. I think this is why several students dropped from GOOD to FAIR. If you used a template and wrote: "The professor argues/insists that ~," then you made a mistake. This professor did NOT argue or insist. I wrote about this in a different blog post.
  5. Independent Writing: 370 words, no template, all simple sentences (重文なし) and simple vocabulary.  Some writing instructors say don't use "And" at the start of a sentence. I used "And," "But," and "So" at the start of sentences and did not use more academic transitions like "However," "On the other hand," etc. Here's more on my Independent writing strategy.


Please use English well!